Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog just ate 5 mg percocet that fell on floor. dog weighs 8

Customer Question

Customer: dog just ate 5 mg percocet that fell on floor. dog weighs 8 lbs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: do we need to have her vomit?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

5 mg of Percocet contains 5 mg of oxycodone and 325 mg of acetaminophen. An 8 lb dog might be intoxicated by acetaminophen at 70 mg/lb or 560 mg for your dog and so that isn't an issue. I might dose oxycodone at up to 0.1 mg/lb or 0.8 mg for your dog. 5 mg is quite an overdose which is likely to cause profound sedation and respiratory depression. I'd like you to induce emesis by dosing your dog with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 2 measuring teaspoons (10 mL) by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, you can repeat the same dose. If you don't have peroxide at home, it would be best to have a vet induce emesis by injection of apomorphine,

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.