Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 14 year old mini schnauzer who keeps getting

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old mini schnauzer who keeps getting vertigo, which I believe is linked to ear infection. She seems to be effected when the barometric pressure changes as well. I'm not sure if this is vestibular disease or just vertigo from upper resp infection. My question is, how best to treat this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry too ear about your girl's issues. How long ago did these "vertigo" episodes start? What is happening with each episode? Has your vet evaluated her for this? Has your vet seen one of these episodes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have taken her to three different vets- emergency vet, regular vet and I was out of town so went to a third. All saw it, she was given antibiotics which helped. She needed another course with added ear drop antibiotics. Given Dramamine for the issue as well. I think this also tends to happen after a hair cut, so not sure if ears aren't properly dried. Im trying to find similarities and it first happened almost exactly a year ago. After the two courses of antibiotics she had the residual head tilt. I put her on the Dramamine, the ear drops and Benadryl. Why does this keep happening? I have a vet appt tomorrow for additional antibiotics, I hope.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She becomes imbalanced, I thought she was having strokes the first time this happened

Sorry for my delay. So all the vets that saw these episodes have seen abnormal eye movement (side to side), head tilt, and possibly circling in a specific direction?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They all saw same thing- head tilt stumbling, eye twitching side to side

Ok. With what you're seeing, these definitely sound like vestibular events. With the frequency of these events, it would seem less likely that these are the idiopathic vestibular events. Could they be due to an inner ear issue? Could the be due to a central brain issue? Those are unfortunately the two scenarios that are becoming more suspect. It would be nice to look down into both ears to try and visualize the ear drum to see what that looks like. Sometimes this can be very hard to do. The question with her situation is was it coincidental that the previous antibiotics worked or did they truly help. If this is a central brain issue, the antibiotics won't help. If this is a middle ear infection, then the antibiotics would have a chance of helping. It will be important tomorrow to see what the vet can see in those ears. Here is a great link on vestibular disease in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You gave me nothing more than I had already been told

I'm sorry that I've re-stated what you've already been told. At this point, there are things that are known and things that aren't known. Diagnostic wise, the next option that can really give a lot of good information is a CT / MRI scan. These advanced imaging tests can evaluate the brain and inner ear for obvious lesions there and determine if the cause for these repeated episodes is due to something there.

I will opt out to see if any other experts have any other thoughts on this. I'm again hoping for the best for her.