Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My schnauzer holds s head up and sniff and blows s nose the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my schnauzer holds his head up and sniff and blows his nose the first thing every morning
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he shakes his head and blows his nose several times in the morning
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: His eyes are very runny and I have to wash them several times a day he is 6 years old
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Your schnauzer sounds just like me. I have to blow my nose several times in the morning and clean my eyes during the day too. These are symptoms of inhalant allergies in dogs and people. I take an antihistamine before bedtime which helps to keep the allergic inflammation down in my nose and conjunctivas of my eyes. I'd like to see how an antihistamine administered to your schnauzer affects him. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 1-2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) at bedtime should be helpful. You can also address his eyes with an over the counter ophthalmic antihistamine drop containing ketotifen. Please see here: http://www.zaditor.com/ It can be administered at a human dose. Avoid antihistamine drops that also contain a decongestant such as phenylephrine. The decongestants can dry out his eyes and encourage more mucus to be formed in the body's attempt to keep the eyes moist.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long should I do the benadryl and zaditor? In the ingredients for diphenhydramine (Benadryl) it contains polyethylene glycol, is this okay? I just purchase the Benadryl this morning so I haven't had a chance to give it to him at night. I'll start that tonight and the Zaditor today. His eyes had a lot of discharge and he's still holding his head up sniffing. When should I see some improvements.

You should see a nice response within 48 hours if you're addressing allergies. Polyethylene glycol is safe for dog; not so in cats. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You stated to avoid antihistamine that contains phenylephrine. I assume "any" human antihistamine with in the above dosage is okay. My schnauzer weighs about 20 lbs and I bought the 25 mg Benadryl.

Correct, avoid products that also contain decongestants such as phenylephrine. Benadryl is dosed at 1-2 mg/lb every 8-12 hours. Other antihistamines are dosed differently and so you'll need to let me know if you choose to dose him with anything other than the Benadryl. I would give him 25 mg of the Benadryl twice daily and expect him to become sedated as a side effect. If you see a positive change in his behavior, see if once daily administration suffices. Your goal is to find the lowest effective dose.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?