Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My mom is 75 years of age. Her dog will not allow anyone to

Customer Question

Hello, my mom is 75 years of age. Her dog will not allow anyone to put a collar/leash on him. His nails are extremely long, he's losing his hair,scratching his ears til they bleed etc. He needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP. How or what can she do about this situation? Several people tried to assist with this situation but every time we go to put a collar or leash of him, he tries to bite us.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today.

First, with a dog that is so difficult to handle, the best option is to have his vet our for a home visit or contact your local mobile vet. They will be equipped to handle him safely +/- sedate him if need be to ensure he can be thoroughly and safely examined and treated.

Otherwise, you can speak to your mom's vet about having an oral sedative dispensed to give him in food before trying to take him in. As well, they can lend you a muzzle (or these are often for sale at pet stores) or even their rabies pole (a lead on a pole that we use to catch dangerous dogs). Otherwise, you could try using a tie muzzle to close his mouth and prevent biting while you put on the collar. To see how to do this using rolled gauze, a thin lead, or any ribbon like material, you can see a photo HERE. You can also see a video on how to do this HERE. Do note you can approach from behind to do this in naughty dogs and once you have the lead on this should be removed since it can be constrictive if tight (where dog muzzles are safer to keep on longer we needed). Finally, as long as he has no known health issues, you can also try him with a dose of Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) as this can make dogs drowsy. We can give a maximum dose of 2 mg per pound of their body weight and it could make him relaxed and drowsy enough for you to handle.

Overall, we do need to tread with care as this is a risky situation for everyone. So, do ring his vet or the local mobile vet to see if they can just come to him an spare you the need to get that collar on. Otherwise, you can use the above to help you do that safely so he can get treated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, so there are some vets who come out to a person home?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Absolutely, all vet practices can potentially offer home visits. As well, we do have an increasing number of mobile vets throughout the US. It will be a case of googling for the mobile vet nearest to your post code/town. Or you can ring the local vet to see if/when they will come out or they may be able to give you the contact details for your nearest mobile vet.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )