Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What do you give a dog

Customer Question

what do you give a dog for constipation
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as long as she is eating, has no belly pain, and there is no risk of a blockage; there are some steps we can take to help Angel pass stool. To start, we can try her with a bit of cow's milk. This can be helpful at getting things moving along as it should (though it can cause a bit of self-limiting loose stool in non-constipated dogs). As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, if she is really struggling, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). You also want to continue to encourage her to drink since constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure she has have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if she won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. If you use the above, but aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or she vomits, goes off her food, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?
nekovet