Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just refuses to eat or drink he been on a drip at vets

Customer Question

My dog just refuses to eat or drink he been on a drip at vets for two days and goes back in today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Have they started him on or sent Alfie home on any medications? Can you tell me which ones he is on?Does he have no interest in eating/drinking? Or does he seem like he want to but then turns away?Any vomiting, gagging, retching or lip licking?Are you direct syringe feeding or has he a feeding tube?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He seems like he wants to then turns away from the offer of food/drink.
The vet has given me a 20ml syringe And tinned food to mix with water giving him 2ml at a time via manual squirt into mouth.
He has a gagging reflex after the food goes down. And had bile only twice on Monday gone. He stopped eating/drinking on Sunday and vets on. Tues they give him 2 injections and sent home. Back on wed and he was put on drip.
Food called Royal canin recovery. He has had a wee and little poo at 2am and again 7am I'm taking him back to vet now to go back on drip and be checked
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,First, the Recovery food is a very good nutrient rich diet that we often use in these cases. I'd note that some dogs like it better warmed up but its good as a watered down gruel to feed. Tha said, if he isn't keen to eat or you are struggling with syringe feeding him, then it may be worth speaking to his vet today about a temporary feeding tube. That way you can bypass his mouth (he can of course eat when he feels ready) with less fight to keep him properly hydrated and taking in nutrients.Otherwise, while its frustrating that they haven't reached a diagnosis, we can at least appreciate that we don't have a situation of organ failure, metabolic disease, or a known cancer present. (And hopefully when they opened him they took gut biopsies for analysis of the intestines +/- stomach) With those differentials aside, we do want to focus on treating his symptoms. Now you noted he has had injections, but its worth asking what he has had. We want him on a strong anti-nausea treatment (ie Metoclopramide, Zofran, Cerenia) since that is a common reason for anorexia even after they stop vomiting. If they are using one that isn't helping, then an alternative may be better (since some dogs respond better to one drug then another, just like us). As well, if there is any worry about the stomach being empty (thus an ulcer risk), then gastroprotectants and antacids may also be of benefit here. Otherwise, do have a word with his vet about appetite stimulants (ie Mirtazapine). Because if they do have that suspect nausea under control (which I am not sure they do if he wants to eat but then acts as if he just cannot dare to), then that can be helpful at giving dogs a push to start eating for us. Overall, you are on the track with Alfie and have ruled out a lot of terminal and sinister issues for his signs. Therefore, at this stage, we want to address that suspect nausea, consider a feeding tube to help you home treat, and consider an appetite stimulant to try to give him a push in the right direct and break this fast for him. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )