How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19139
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband bought a dark chocolate bar. I saw a piece lying

Customer Question

My husband bought a dark chocolate bar. I saw a piece lying around and I'm so tired I wasn't sure if I picked it up right away or left it there?!? UGH. I have 2 small chi's I thought might have eaten it and I'm not sure if either of them ate it or not.
I tried to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide and one vomited but the other did not. So I'm worried about the one who did not vomit :'(. Will the hydrogen peroxide hurt him?? And how will I know if he is being poisoned by the chocolate?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does the one who did not vomit weigh { In pounds } ?

2. Was this just one small segment of the chocolate bar?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I THINK he weighs between 15 and 20 pound but I'm not sure. It was a small piece of chocolate but very dark. I'm sure it could have been toxic based on his small size. I'm also wondering if the hydrogen peroxide might be toxic since he didn't vomit it up.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

I would very much doubt that this is very serious for your dog, he may perhaps show mild gastro-enteritis but I would not expect worse than that. there are no particular measures you need take in this sort of situation. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate as in chocolate bars for human consumption mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 15 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 4.5 ozs { more than 1/4 pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. 1/4 pound would probably be the weight of the full bar so one segment is not going to affect you dog much.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article which covers chocolate toxicity yin the dog in more detail : LINK

4. also please do not worry about the hydrogen peroxide, even if your dog did not vomit this in very safe and unlikely to cause your dog any harm.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jack is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dark chocolate bar ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.