helperDVM
helperDVM, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

I have a 13 yr old 1/2 chihuahua 1/2! She is in really good

Customer Question

I have a 13 yr old 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 ***** *****! She is in really good health, active and happy! These resent series of storms have slowed her down,understandably, but she is hurting! My question is: is it ok to give her a baby ASA or 1/2 of one? Her weight is approx. 10 ibs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.

You can give Minnie a baby aspirin and it should not hurt her. Some pets with sensitive stomachs can have minor issues with the medication. I will tell you that typically it isn't as good for pain in dogs as it can be in people. If you truly think she has slowed down due to pain you should get into the vet to get either Carprofen (Rimadyl) or Tramadol. If you choose to give the aspirin watch for a decrease in appetite - if that occurs it's not worth the risk. If you decide later to put her on carprofen she will need to be off of the aspirin for at least 7 days. Hope that helps.

Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Minnie. How is everything going?
helperDVM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is Lisa, regarding Minnie! I'm so sorry I didnt explain myself or should I say Minnie very well ! I was worried, it being a 3 day weekend,but her arthritis pain seemed to bother me more than herself! I refrained from giving her anything ,as she isn't tripping or favoring her hind leg any more! I believe "ignorance is bliss" carried her over the pressure dropping storms we've had recently! she's being her little fire-cracker self once again!!! Thanks for advice and being there !!ūüź∂!!
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.

Glad she's well! :)