Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Lab.... Swallowed small bone...inch in width and 3 inches at

Customer Question

lab.... Swallowed small bone...inch in width and 3 inches long at around 7 pm. Since 9 has been bringing up his food. No bone. After bringing up food attempts to find something to eat manicy. Sealed sock, tried carpet strings, etc. drinks lots of water. Lays for awhile and than starts bringing food back up and goes crazy finding food. Is this an obstruction? No Er vet for 50 miles. Is there something I can give her to get bone out or make her more comfortable till morning when I can get to vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Marley's situation. Is that small bone causing a blockage? That is the unknown. Could it be stuck in her esophagus? That would be the most critical spot the quickest. If she was frequently swallowing like something was stuck, then this would be more suspect. If she's not frequently swallowing and can get comfortable, then it would seem less likely. If something is stuck in the esophagus, it can damage the tissues there the quickest. These situations need veterinary care the quickest to get it removed from that location. X-rays can reveal if this is the case. If the bone is stuck in the stomach or intestinal tract, then those typically aren't as critical as fast. They obviously still need to be addressed though. Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do at home to get the bone out (if it is there and the problem). The best you can do at home is to pull up food and water (and anything else she's trying to eat) to hopefully let her stomach rest. My best recommendation though is to get to that ER vet even though it is that far away.