Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Minion ate 1/4 approx sautéed onions with spinach.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Ziggy. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Glad you're there.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Can you please tell me the following:

• how much onion did Ziggy eat (1/4 an onion or 1/4 cup)?
  • is Ziggy otherwise healthy?
  • how long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already paid $19.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now it is going to cost more? I'm confused!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No additional fee. Thank u
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Agreed to $19.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Sorry... through this chat medium you are only talking to the vet. I don't have anything to do with how the website works or payment.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Are you able to see and reply to the questions I asked above? Time is of the essence.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Can you please tell me the following:

• is Ziggy otherwise healthy?
  • how long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I agreed upon $19. I do not want phone call if it additional
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry if there is confusion. You are replying to questions I am not asking you. I am the vet who is trying to help you with your question about your dog.

Can you please tell me the following:

• is Ziggy otherwise healthy?
  • how long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1/4 cup
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I am licensed veterinarian and I am here to provide you with the information you are looking for in response to your dog, but I need some additional information from you first.

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you with questions about the website or payment or how any of that works.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is healthy . It happened 30 min ago
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

1/4 cup onion is more than enough to cause lethal results in a dog this size. It is very important that you take appropriate action to make her vomit as quickly as possible. The safest way to do that is to take her to an emergency center. There are also options for attempting to do this at home, but I hate to have you take the risk (it's not as safe) or waste valuable time.

Regardless, she will need to go to the emergency center even after vomiting for baseline blood tests and administration of activated charcoal.

Do you need help locating your closest emergency center?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I'm so sorry this has happened, but grateful that you knew that onions can be poisonous.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Answer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

In order to get her to vomit the safest way possible it is imperative to get her to the emergency center as quickly as possible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Solution?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are u kidding?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

The solution to the problem is to take her to the emergency center as quickly as possible so they can:

• induce vomiting as safely as possible
  • administer activated charcoal
  • draw baseline blood tests
  • treat complications as they develop

I'm afraid this is not something you can treat at home. If getting to the emergency center within the next 90 minutes is not an option, then you will need to try to induce vomiting at home.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am recovering from pneumonia. I am sick myself at home
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I am not kidding.

Eating onions causes life-threatening blood disorders in dogs.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please offer at home solution
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I do this?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I am so sorry you're in this difficult situation. I am not trying to be difficult, but I'm afraid asking for a home solution to this problem is like asking for how to treat a heart attack or stroke at home. The blood disorders caused by eating onions are very serious and difficult to treat.

I can tell you how to attempt to induce vomiting at home, but it is not the safest option, and we are wasting valuable time.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

As an advocate for her best interests I must tell you that the best solution to this problem is to arrange to get her to an emergency center right away, even if someone else has to do it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I very upset!!!!!!!!! I paid 19 for this?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Because this is a life-threatening emergency for her. I'm so sorry. I wish I had better news for you. Unfortunately, I am compelled to give you honest and complete and accurate information, even if it is not what you want to hear.

Would you like me to continue with instructions for how to attempt to induce vomiting at home, even though it is risky?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Yes... I understand this is very upsetting.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like a refund.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

It's terribly upsetting that she has eaten something that could end up being lethal. That's very alarming.

Please also understand I'm doing everything I can to try to help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How much peroxide do I give her?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

If you would like a refund you may request one by contacting customer support.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At least answer tat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

It needs to be very fresh peroxide. Do you have that at home?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

The dose of hydrogen peroxide used to induce vomiting in otherwise healthy dogs on no medications is 1ml per pound of body weight. If it doesn't work after one attempt, you may repeat it after fifteen minutes.

Do NOT use more and do NOT repeat more than once. Doing so can be very harmful or lethal.

That means a 5 pound dog would get 5ml.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

It is imperative that you get her to vomit as quickly as possible. After 45-90 minutes it will be too late.

After vomiting, she will also need activated charcoal and baseline blood tests run.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is the closest one
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Where is the closest what? Emergency center?

Please tell me your location so I may help you with that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Er
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It happened at 7:10
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I would be happy to help you in finding your closest emergency center. In order to do that, I need to know your current location.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello??????
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I am here. Are you able to see my replies?

Please tell me your current location so I may help you find your closest ER.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I am standing by to help you find your closest ER as soon as you tell me your location.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

To clarify: the most important thing to do for a small puppy who has eaten 1/4 cup of onions in order to prevent life-threatening blood disorders is to make her throw up as quickly as possible and give activated charcoal and start running baseline blood tests. If blood problems develop, they will be treated as they arise. The safest way to do all of this is to get your dog to the closest emergency center as quickly as possible. If you decide it is worth the risks and potential for wasted time to try to induce vomiting at home, the only way to attempt this is to use 1ml of fresh hydrogen peroxide (not to exceed 45ml) per pound of body weight, wait 15 minutes for vomiting, and repeat only one time if not successful.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I came back from Er and they made me wait an hour. I ended up giving her 1 teaspoon of peroxide still no vomit. It was given to her 3 hours after ingesting the onions. She hasn't puked but it looks like she had a bowel movement when we came home w/ some spinach.she seems to have regular energy . When is she out of the. Woods?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like some advice . When will I know if she is out of the woods? I believe she only ingested 1/8 cup .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Instead of original estimate.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm still waiting for a response ..... When will I know if she is out of the woods?????? Same issue
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay in my response. I have been offline while seeing patients. I will type your answer in as quickly as I can.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

If a dog is going to develop a blood disorder following ingestion of onions, we expect signs to start to appear between 2 and 5 days post ingestion. Signs could be very vague, with weakness, loss of energy, and loss of appetite as the most common.

Onion poisoning causes destruction of red blood cells and a resulting anemia. We expect detectable changes in the blood profile to also show up 2-5 days post-ingestion.

Any dog who has normal blood work 5 days after ingestion would be considered to be "out of the woods".

It's much harder to know when a dog is out of the woods without blood tests.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I am encouraged to hear that the amount of onion she may have eaten is only half the original estimate. This makes me more hopeful that it might not cause problems.

I want to emphasize the point that if it DOES cause problems, those changes will show up on blood tests much more quickly than they will in any behavior.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

Another way to put it is that I would expect your dog to act totally fine until 2 days up to a week or two after eating the onion. As long as she doesn't become life-threateningly anemic, you might not be able to notice any symptoms at all, even if her blood would test abnormally.

If she does start to show signs of weakness, loss of energy, and appetite loss, it will mean that she is dangerously anemic and may need an emergency blood transfusion.

It's far better to have her blood tested to detect the problem (if it's there) before she shows any signs at all.

I've been very worried about you and her and all the anxiety you must be going through (especially since you are coping with an illness yourself).

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. I've been worried about you.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brenda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ziggy. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo