Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a small 4 pound yorkie. 2 years old. At Christmas

Customer Question

My dog is a small 4 pound yorkie. 2 years old. At Christmas he was jumping from the coach to a chair and he fell. He seemed fine but he was holding his right rear leg up. He did not whimper or cry at all. In about 5 minutes he was totally fine and acting normal without a limp or holding it up. We came home and I started to notice that wh h he jumps off the furniture now or runs too fast he will again hold this same leg up. Again he does not cry or Yelp at all. He is eating and drinking and using the restroom normal. It's been a few week and he still holds it up occasionally. What should I do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The primary concern is a patellar luxation with her breed and symptoms. I would advise a veterinary exam because a home evaluation will not give this diagnosis, a veterinarian needs to check the stifle for a moveable patella or kneecap which cannot be done without an experienced hand. Often with palpation and manipulation at home you will not see any indications of this condition

Here is more information on patellar luxation in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/medial-patella-luxation-in-dogs

Unfortunately in small breed dogs this is very common. Some require surgery while others simply need to minimize certain movements such as jumping on/ off furniture or stairs along with keeping him lean and regular consistent exercise.

I hope this information makes sense. It is possible that this is a simple muscle injury but I suspect you would have seen some improvement if that were the case in this length of time. And the fact that it is intermittent, his breed, and the inciting cause really makes me suspect his kneecap.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 20 minutes tonight to assist you both.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!