Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Salkin only* Salkin, Just a couple questions/concerns i

Customer Question

for Dr. Salkin only*
Hey Dr. Salkin,
Just a couple questions/concerns i needed to address.
One being the potential side effects of capstar and comfortis. They sound pretty awful : (
The second being that comfortis is something like $120 and capstar is like $30 for the 6 pills.
Thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The following is from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed., Plumb, 2015...

Capstar: "Nitenpyram is usually tolerated well, but serious adverse effects have been reported. Based on poast=approval adverse drug experience reporting, the following adverse events (listed in decreasing order of frequency) have been reported: Lethargy/depression, vomiting, itching, decreased appetite, diarrhea, hyperactivity, incoordination, trembling, seizures, panting ,allergic reactions including hives, vocalization, salivation, fever, and nervousness. The frequency of serious signs, including neurologic signs and death, was greater in animals under 2 pounds of body weight, less than 8 weeks of age, and/or reported to be in poor body condition."

Comfortis: "Spinosad appears to be very well tolerated in dogs...will not show any adverse effects after dosing. The following adverse reactions are possible and based on post-approval adverse drug event reporting (listed in decreasing order of frequency): vomiting, depression/lethargy, anorexia, ataxia, diarrhea, pruritis, trembling, hypersalivation and seizures."

$120/month (you should be able to find it for less) for Comfortis. $30 for every other day dosing for 12 days or $75 for every other day dosing/month.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every other day dosing? I thought comfortis was one pill a month?
So as far as the side effects go, should i be concerned or am i most likely good to go with either one?

Sorry. The Comfortis is once monthly. The Capstar can work well when given every other day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really dont like the idea of him having seizures or anything else for that matter just to kill fleas. That makes NO sense to me. Its just causing more, larger problems than the original issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the capstar is every other day? So the 6 pills would be per month not for 6 months?
This is all superbly beginning to stress me out, i really dont know what to do at this point. I almost feel like hes better off the way he is than going down either of those roads.

6 pills every other day carries him through 12 days. 15 pills every other day carries him through the month. Yes, it's a matter of picking your poison.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait, what do you mean 15 pills every other day? I thought it was 6 pills with capstar and 1 a month with comfortis?

If you want to treat for a full month every other day, you'll need 15 Capstars. There's no rule how long to treat. You may find that just 6 pills every other day does the trick. You don't have a choice with Comfortis. One dose is going to last a month.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jesus thats too many pills with the capstar. Do you see any of the side effects actually come about with the comfortis though?
Im seriously wondering if i should even risk either of em.

The most common side effect I see with spinosads is vomiting soon after administration. It usually passes within 24 hours.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?