Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog w/ watery diarrhea, some vomiting yellow in color. No

Customer Question

dog w/ watery diarrhea, some vomiting yellow in color. No blood in either. can I treat
w/ kaopectate or not,\.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Domino. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if he is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

In addition, kaopectate doesn't seem to be very effective in dogs so not a treatment I would advise.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed) which are found to be more effective in treating upset stomachs in dogs

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Domino comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another hour tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 10 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight, good luck to you both truly