Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My name is ***** *****. one of out dogs got into the other

Customer Question

Customer: hey my name is ***** *****. one of out dogs got into the other dogs vetmedin. the emergency vets in our area arent farmilar with vetmedin and the vetmedin techs we were referred are not in the office.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the dog perscribed the vetmedin weighs about 15 lbs and is perscibed 2.5mg a day, the dog who ate the vetmedin weighs about 60 lbs and ate about 20 tablets about 30 mgs We were at work so we came home and saw this now - she could have ate them about 8 hrs ago or sooner we do not know timing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Is the larger dog showing any adverse symptoms of any sort at present { No matter how minor } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
as far as we can tell she is acting normal. she is acting very energetic and was very excited to eat, both perfectly normal.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. In dogs the dose range for Vetmedin is between 0.05 to 0.15 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given twice a day orally. For your larger dog the maximum dose would be { 0.15 mg X 60 pounds } = 9 mg. So clearly 30 mg would be an overdose.

2. If there is any chance whatsoever that this happened within the last two hours then the best precaution you can take is to induce vomiting and recover the drug that way. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. Other than that all you can do is to monitor your dogs for the next twelve hours or so and contact an emergency vet if serious symptoms develop. These could include : Vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, incoordination and seizures may also occur. However this drug has a fairly high margin of safety in the dog so it could be that this drug will work its way out of your dog's system without showing any very serious symptoms but this was an overdose so be on your guard.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
great thanks for the info. as far as we can tell it has been about 8 hours since she got into the vetmedin and she has no symptoms so were feeling less worried.

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well if 8 hours have passed and no significant adverse symptoms have occurred then the chances are she will be just fine ...

However I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Vetmedin overdose ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.