Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My name is ***** ***** and Im looking to just answer some

Customer Question

Customer: Hi My name is ***** ***** and Im looking for someone to just answer some questions I have for school? I want to go into the Veterinarian field and I need some help with the different options. Im not sure if thats something you can help with or not?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I wanted to get my degree as a Vet tech but that degree isn't offered in my state in distance learning which is what I would like because of my job. They do offer Vet Assistant and I wasn't sure how well that compared to a vet tech.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your questions today. Where are you with your schooling? What type of animals do you want to work with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am a high school graduate and with large livestock animals

Okay thanks for the additional information. To address your question regarding the difference between a veterinary technician and a veterinary assistant. I don't believe you need to pay for an education to be a veterinary assistant. Most clinics will do on the job training for veterinary assistant regardless of education background. However a veterinary technician is trained with their education to perform special techniques which veterinary assistants may not be able to do either due to the law or due to lack of skills. Also becoming a veterinary technician greatly opens up more job prospects which is definitely helpful with working with large livestock animals.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thats what I thought but I was not sure. Do you happen to know of any online schools that offer a vet tech degree?

The most popular program that some of my assistants have enrolled in is Penn Foster. They offer an online program that you pretty much can do at your own pace with some limitations. But you are required to do some externships at actual clinics to complete this degree. Notable VCA hospitals and Banfield hospitals.

I included the link in my response so you can check out the program.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome let me know if you have any further questions

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne