Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

MY dog chewed on a battery
, A D battery and punctured

Customer Question

Customer: MY dog chewed on a battery
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: A D battery and punctured it I just found her with it and got very nervous. I am not sure if I should go right the the emergency room. She is acting fine. She is a one and a half year old lab/pit mix about 60 lbs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am not sure if it is a serious issue
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I go te vet ER?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she swallow the battery or only chewed it?

2- How long since this happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chewed about 20 minutes. Hole in battery
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the concern with puncturing a battery is the acid causing ulceration/irritation of the upper gastrointestinal tract. This is what you can do:

1- Give her some milk, this will help dilute the acid in the stomach.

2- Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol or try to induce vomiting.

3- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- If during the next few days she becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, abdominal pain, etc. follow up with family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter