Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****. My 3 year old schnoodle was

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My 3 year old schnoodle was diagnosed with IMPA a year and a half ago. He went through the prednisone treatment and a couple of months ago, had a relapse. Put back on prednisone for several days, than the weaning off, now directions are to "give as needed". I just heard about astaxanthin. Do you think it would be helpful to give him this supplement? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not without specific questions. I'm just trying to do everything I can to keep him from being on prednisone long term or possibly, for his lifetime. After reading about astaxanthin, I thought perhaps it might help or is this only for dogs who haven't had immune system problems?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It's certainly worth consideration. Take a look at this study: http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0182965-dietary-astaxanthin-in-inflammatory-disease-a-rheumatoid-arthritis-model-in-dogs-and-cats.html This is the most important take-home from this unfinished study: "Dogs and cats diagnosed with rheumatoid arhtritis were fed 20 (dogs) or 10 (cats) mg astaxanthin daily for 4 to 8 weeks. Results showed that dogs astaxanthin drastically reduced lameness and increased physical activity levels in all cases." Most important, there's no reason to believe astaxanthin is harmful and so a trial dose in your dog would be reasonable.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.