Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a litter of puppies (almost 7 weeks old) and at least

Customer Question

Customer: I have a litter of puppies (almost 7 weeks old) and at least one puppy, not sure which has developed "soft serve" poop with some mucus over the last couple of days. Most of the stools in this litter are formed and perfect. Not only is there the "soft serve" but one of the pups (again not sure which) has had some mucus in the stool and just noticed a defecation of pure mucus. All have been wormed with Strongid at 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 weeks. All have great appetites and are playful. No lethargy. Trying to figure out what to do at this point. I have some droncit for Tapeworms, but have seen no evidence of either tapes or fleas on pups or mom.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think I gave a lot of info in my first response
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I wasn't planning on being charged at all.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There has been no evidence of coccidia or giardia in either mom or litter. The pups have not been outside at all!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You've done a nice job of worming properly but if you haven't had a fecal ova and parasite exam performed you'll still need to do that in order rule out coccidia and Giardia...and you might have to add a Giardia ELISA test to be most thorough. Tapeworms - unless a very heavy infestation which really isn't possible at 7 weeks of age - won't cause clinical symptoms. An emerging food intolerance is always possible as well but I'd be more comfortable ruling out coccidia and Giardia first.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.