Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a 11 week puppy who has eaten some plant outside

Customer Question

Customer: We have a 11 week puppy who has eaten some plant outside earlier today. she is breathing rapidly and has a dry nose
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We are not sure what the plant was but could be Christmas cactus. Seems a bit off colour but is eating and drinking
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Christmas cactus is non-toxic in dogs. It can cause some GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain). That may be what some of the subtle signs are due to. There is no specific treatment, though. You just wait out the signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?