Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is warm and her stomach sounds like if she has worms.

Customer Question

My dog is warm and her stomach sounds like if she has worms. What should I do until the veterinary office opens in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would try to get a stool sample from your dog at some point tonight. You can take that in tomorrow to have them check for intestinal parasites or worms.

In the mean time, you could give an antacid like Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- 5 mg. This will help settle her stomach down, as it sounds like she does have an upset stomach. The grumbling of the stomach is not a big concern, that is just an over active stomach that is contracting. It's vomiting that we worry more about.

If you don't have any antacids, you could try some Benadryl. This has some anti-inflammatory effects and it can help her get some sleep. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has thrown up in minor quantities a few times. Will the medicine work until the morning?

It should help with the signs until morning, yes.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?