Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 8 yr old boxer, he has significant allergies in

Customer Question

I have an 8 yr old boxer, he has significant allergies in which he has been receiving steroid injections . His feet are always raw and he chews them. Recently had leg problems, started with unable to sit normally and now cannot get up the stairs. Leg shakes constantly. Now found grape size bumps on t
His chest. They do not move and appear to bother him...he has had many fatty growths...X rays show spine degeneratation.taking gabapentin and tramadol with no improvement. The lumps are new.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello Shelly,

My name is***** and I am here to help.

Ozzie sure has a lot of problems. Sounds like you are doing a lot to help him.

Did you want help just with the new growths?

You said that they were on his chest. Do they look like extra nipples? Are they attached to the muscle under the skin or do they move freely with the skin?

If they move freely they are most likely benign. If they are attached to the muscle, are rapidly growing or ulcerated I would get a biopsy.

We don't want to put these middle aged dogs through any surgery unless we know that the growths are malignant or they are in a play where constant rubbing causes hemorrhage.

Allergies are a big problem for Ollie. Shelly, has Ollie been to see a veterinary allergist? Some allergies such as food allergies are easier to diagnose and treat. Inhalation and contact allergies are more tricky to diagnose.

The severe itching that Ollie has may be a challenge to diagnose. But isn't it worth a try to make him more comfortable?

Veterinary allergists are found in large metropolitan ares and Veterinary Colleges.

Long term steroids are not a good idea because they can produce a condition called Cushing's syndrome. Ollie doesn't need that.

It's been over an hour since you submitted this question. I'll be happy to continue when you come back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry went to bed..the growth does not look like a nipple, does not move freely. We have Ozzie on a grain free diet, but does not help. Seeking a second opinion on all of Ozzie's problems

Your email came in at 2 am which is why I did not respond.

Shelly, you want a second opinion on all of Ozzie's problems.

That is almost impossible with the limits of emailing, no physical exam and

no access to his records.

However, let's just start with allergies. To test for food allergies he has to be put on a diet he has never been on before. That does not mean brand pf food but rather the protein sources. For example, using kangaroo and barley, if he has never eaten that. All treats, medications with meat flavorings, etc have to be eliminated. He stays on this diet for 6 - 8 weeks to see if he gets better.

Treating allergies is very complex and requires the commitment of the owner. That is why I was advising you to go see a veterinary allergist.

Now the growths on his chest. If they are attached to the muscle under the skin I would advise removing one and that one sending it to a pathologist for a diagnosis. Then you would know if the rest need to be removed.

I don't have his xrays, but the medications he is on for pain are recommended and the combination is especially good for pain caused by neurologic source.

My recommendation is for you to get a second opinion you must see another veterinarian. I'd start with an allergist because if you can make him comfortable the other problems may be easier to treat.

Also he should get one of those lumps on his chest removed and diagnosed.

I realize that this may not be what you were expecting, but I must be honest and direct you to where you can truly get a second opinion.

I hope that this has helped.

I will not be available for the next 11 hours but you send me an email and I will answer it when I return.

We both want what is best for Ollie.

Dr Marta

Shelly, we do have a couple of other options we can do. You must be on EST and I am in Hawaii so there is a five hour difference in time. You could ask for a phone conversation (I think it is $18 extra) at a time that is mutually good for us.

Or I could opt out of this question and allow an expert living closer to you to pick it up. Being able to dialog back and forth makes it a lot better.

Let me know and we can work something out

Good morning Shelly,

Have you thought about my suggestions? Of course we can continue emailing.

Let me know.

Dr Marta