Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Went to vets this evening to get Kennel cough injection but

Customer Question

Customer: Went to vets this evening to get Kennel cough injection but we got refused as she started vomitting bile and blood up with grass in it Should i be worried
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: After coming back from her walk she was sick, contained grass and bile as normally happens when she manages to eat Grass On our way to the vets she puked in the back of the car, it contained blood specimen Inside the vet she again was sick, more bile but loads of blood so they decided they coudlnt adminastor the kennel cough vaccine No mention of keeping her in, but apart of me seeing as im going away tomorrow and she will be going in the kennels is quite worried this could be more the sees the eye Could she possibly have been poisoined, or can grass on its own cause this?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
uk ***********
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I wouldn't be too worried yet. This may just be some GI upset from the grass she ate. That can irritate the lining of the stomach and esophagus which leads to some bleeding. I would hold off on food/ water for 6-8 hours. I would also try giving a dose of Pepcid (Famotidine). This can help settle the stomach. The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 12-24 hours, as needed.

If she is not eating in the morning or if she continues to vomit, then I would try to get a vet to look at her. As long as she eats some breakfast and keeps it down, I wouldn't worry too much.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has eaten since, last time she was sick was 7pm UK time so we are sick free 7 hours now.She is to go back to the vets tomorrow morning at 8am as she needs to have her injection for kennel cough or she cant be placed in the kennels.The vet really didnt want to do this injections due to the blood, though myself knew this was just the grass ive seen it before and if im not worried as an owner at the time i dont see why this cant be carried out ethically.

Oh great. I'm glad she has eaten and kept it down. That's good news and that rules out a lot of the bad things that could be going on.

I would also not really want to give any vaccines if she was vomiting. I understand that. I also wouldn't want to vaccinate within 3 weeks of going to the kennel. The protection from vaccines takes 2-3 weeks to make antibodies. That's not an option now, I see, but in the future you really shouldn't vaccinate that close to boarding.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah unfourtuntly due to my line of work late notice does come in to play and without realising they expired.Hopefully the vet will adminastor it in the morning, though the question is will it be valid in their system?

It'll be in the system, it's just not really good for the patient. If it satisfies the boarding facility, then that's fine. In the future, I would just get a kennel cough vaccine every 6 months to make sure she's always up to date.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tomorrow (Today) When she has that Injection along with her RABIES jab, will the RABIES be effective for the passport certifcation?

It should be ok for the certification, yes.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?