Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I had a 6 year old tiny yorkie (Sweetie) pass away suddenly.

Customer Question

I had a 6 year old tiny yorkie (Sweetie) pass away suddenly. Symptoms - red colored hives on her chest & underarms, seizures, foam around the mouth, and moaning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Sweetie. I'm so sorry you're going through this devastating situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Jo, what do you think cause her death?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Glad you're there. I've got a lot of information to go over with you. Please give me a moment to type. Yes, I'm here. Just a slow typer...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Can you please tell me if Sweetie showed any other signs or symptoms before suddenly passing away like this? Any prior illnesses or medications?

Did you see any signs of anything she may have gotten into?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No meds or prior illness. just the red colored hives on her chest and underarms, seizures, foam around the mouth & moaning.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That helps to know

I want to start by letting you know this is not a common scenario. I know there's nothing that can ease the pain of her passing, but this is not a typical set of symptoms that fits with any specific cause of death.

The most likely causes I would consider based on what you've described so far would include:

• ingestion of any of a variety of household medications or chemicals
  • electric shock (chewed cords?)
  • venomous spider, scorpion, or snake bite (if you live in such an area)

Some types of infectious diseases (viral, bacterial, and protozoal) can also cause a sudden onset of seizures and death with a skin rash, but they are not common.

Again... I'm so sorry this has happened. It sounds awful.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other pets at home? If so, how are they acting?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello...

Are you still there?

I'm also interested in knowing how long ago this happened. If it has just happened, it is worthwhile asking your vet to do a post-mortem examination (called a necropsy) in order to see if a conclusive cause of death can be determined.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there? I'm worried about you. I know how difficult a sudden loss like this can be, and I want to be sure you get the answers you need.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in to ask if there is anything else I can do to help you.