Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Blackheads in the back of my dogs back! That area smells a

Customer Question

Blackheads in the back of my dogs back! That area smells a little different than the area without the blackheads
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Blackheads (comedones) appear with quite a few disorders - demodicosis (the mange mite Demodex), dermatophytosis (fungal infection), hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease), vitamin-A-responsive dermatosis, and follicular dysplasias. Nico's vet should take a look at that area and perform basic testing in the form of skin scrapings (looking for the mange mite), a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of Nico's skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast), and a fungal culture.

Bathing in an antiseborrheic shampoo should be helpful in removing those comedones. These shampoos contain combinations of sulfur, tar, benzoyl peroxide, phytosphingosine, selenium sulfide, and salicylic acid and can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores or at Nico's pet hospital. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.