Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My little dog woke up last night fighting. Sounded like

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****- my little dog woke up last night fighting for air. Sounded like fluid in his throat or something. I thought he was going to die.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is a tea cup poodle. 9 years old and eating & drinking fine. I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago when this happened the fisrt time and she put him on anitbotics because she didn't know what else to do. his breathing hasn't sounded right the last couple months. sounds like fluids in his nose/mouth but the vet doesn't know what it is
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, if X-rays of your poodle's chest were taken two weeks ago? We can't know how to help a patient such as your poodle without visualizing his heart and lungs. "Fighting for air" and "fluid in his throat" are worrisome symptoms of congestive heart failure in an older poodle. If his vet isn't able or willing to X-ray your poodle, please find another vet who can. Prescribing antibiotics without thoroughly asucultating (listening to) your poodle's chest and taking a 3-view series of thoracic X-rays isn't the standard of care for such a patient. If an arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) is heard, an EKG is then indicated as well.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?