Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is having digestive issues
, Yes -- this morning

Customer Question

Customer: My dog is having digestive issues
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes -- this morning he threw up what appeared to be a large hair ball (a large mass of hair, mixed with food and some other matter). Since then he has had diarrhea. The last instance was followed by a few drops of bright red blood. We fed him a limited morning meal. He otherwise seems active and playful.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your guy ingested something that did not agree with him. This can cause a digestive disturbance causing vomiting and diarrhea. This diarrhea will cause irritation to the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing blood vessels to break and bleed. This is not serious and will resolve once the disturbance is resolved. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and diarrhea have resolved, then wean back him onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your dog to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction. In most cases such as this, this treatment is curative.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****