Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My American bulldog was fine and now he has diareah .The

Customer Question

My American bulldog was fine and now he has diareah .The exterminator was here but
We left for 4hours and then came home
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Do you know what the exterminator used and did Blue have access to it?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten anything else he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diareah is runny no blood in his stool
His gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that his gums are pink and hopefully he hasn't had access to anything the exterminator has used (since many chemicals used to kills pests can harm our dogs). If there is any doubt about that, then do make sure to ring them to get an idea of what they used and where so you can access any risk for him.

That aside, if we have a case of sudden onset non-bloody diarrhea, then we can start supportive care to help reduce this for Blue. To start, we can put Blue onto alight/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Furthermore, as long as we see no blood in those stools, we can start him on a pet safe anti-diarrheal. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for Blue’s signs. If he could have gotten into something they left, that would be a worry. Of course, we can see diarrhea like this arise if he has a GI infection, parasites/protozoal infection, or if he has had a dietary indiscretion. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start the above at this point. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since he is young); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there and test a stool sample to pinpoint what is causing this. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him symptomatically (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) to settle this and get him back to normal.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue also threw up all his food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Goodness, poor lad.

Hopefully, you didn't see anything suspicious from the exterminator in that vomit. In that case, if that is also an issue, then we'll need to rest his stomach for a few hours before starting the above for him. All of the above will help with nausea too, but we can plan to start (before offering the light diet) to give an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)). Of course if he doesn't settle or cannot keep those down, then we'd want the local vet involved sooner in case he needs injectable anti-nausea medication to settle that side of his signs for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue also threw up all hiss food last nite
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If that is the case, we'd still want to use the above but know that this makes the exterminator situation likely a red herring. So, we need to try the above but plan to have him checked (since those other causes I noted are now more likely here) if he doesn't settle with this in the next 24 hours.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Diana,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?
nekovet