Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr., We have a baby boxer puppy that is sick. She was born

Customer Question

Dr. Bruce,
We have a baby boxer puppy that is sick. She was born 12-16-2015. She has been doing fine ever since she was born. She is the smallest on of the litter. There were 4 pups in the litter. 3 girls and 1 boy. Tonight she started breathing hard and moaning and crying. She acts like she has a tummy ache. When I hold her with my hand under her on her stomach and pat her on the back she seems to calm down. While I was holding her she got to squirming so I put her back in her birthing box. In a few seconds she pooped a long turd that was firm and not too hard. Then she burped and spit up a little bit of something, white and clabbery. We gave her just a small amount of pepto bismal. What do you think it is and what can we give her. The vets office will not be open until 7:00 AM in the morning. We have a great vet, but cannot get in touch with him until the morning.
My husband just came in and said that she pooped 3 turds about all together 3 inches. It's very firm and hard. Harder than the turd before.
Thanks,
Sylvia
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi Sylvia! Happy New Years. The best thing you can do at home for this little one right now is to keep him warm and on a quiet area for rest. Could he be a bit bloated from over eating? Some can pig out pretty good and get a distended abdomen and get uncomfortable from that. It is good that those stools are passing as that hopefully means no constipation is present. Hopefully he'll start to settle down here soon.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
God is so good to hear from you. Hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. This little puppy is not doing good at all. I am praying that it is just she pigs out. Will get back in touch with you if I need you later. Thank you for your help.

Warmth is always good in these situations. You can place a little kayro syrup on his gums to try and get a little extra glucose into him to help if his blood sugar is a little low.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please let me hear from you

I'm currently at work and I have a couple cases I'm dealing with. I'm hoping for the best here!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay waiting your call

I'm very sorry that this little one passed. I wish I would have pushed hard to get her seen. The tough thing is with these little ones that are this critical is that the treatment options are limited based on their size. Supportive fluids, warmth and possible antibiotics would have been a baseline supportive care. Could mom have stepped on him? Hopefully everyone else in the litter stays healthy.