Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My It. Gryhnd got into apricots...in the am..has been

Customer Question

My It. Gryhnd got into apricots...in the am..has been throwing them up. Undigested this evening. Should I do something else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that WyO got into the apricots. Were they fresh or dried? Were there pits still in the fruit or were the pits removed?

For tonight, the first thing that I would do is remove the food and water. Dogs will often drink excessively after vomiting and this actually makes their nausea worse. If all goes well, the vomiting should stop within 30 minutes. Once the vomiting has stopped for 4 hours, you can offer small amounts (about 1/4cup at a time) of water once every 30 minutes. If there is no further vomiting by morning, you can offer half of his normal breakfast.

You will need to take him to your local animal emergency room if he continues to vomit once you have removed the food and water. They may recommend x-rays to look to see if he has an obstruction from the pits if there were any.

If there is no vomiting by morning, but he refuses food and water, you will need to take him to your regular vet first thing tomorrow morning. Again, they will recommend x-rays to look for an obstruction.

Does that help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Wyo. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda

How is your pup this evening? Did he end up having any problems with the apricots? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A