Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 11 year old Pom is vomiting mucous

Customer Question

My 11 year old Pom is vomiting mucous
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any coughing or diarrhea?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It appears to have just started. No coughing or diarrhea so far. Mousey is 11. He was diagnosed with heart worms 2 weeks ago but has not begun treatments
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mousey weighs about 3 lbs

1- Besides the vomiting, any other symptoms?

2- Any difficulty breathing?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
His gums appear to be pink. He is shaking a little. He is not on medication at this time

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, the fact that Mousey has a history of HWD we also have to consider part of the HWD.

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family vet in the morning. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter