Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our dog is acting like there is something in s throat. He

Customer Question

Customer: my name is Doreen our dog is acting like there is something in his throat. He vomited two but that did help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is gaging and trying to get something up. How can we help
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi Doreen - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been gagging and vomiting. Do you have any idea what may have set this off?

If you're thinking that something is stuck in his throat, you can try offering a drink of water or something bulky like a piece of bread - the idea being that it could push down whatever is stuck there. If he's gagging continuously and unable to stop and this doesn't help, that's when I'd suggest a visit to the emergency vet.

If the gagging is more intermittent and he's acting normally otherwise, it could be that he just had a tickle or aspirated a bit - like when we drink and get something "down the wrong tube" and have a coughing fit. Many owners who have dogs that have an infectious cough also feel that it sounds like something is stuck in their dog's throat - but it's actually just the way the cough sounds. Dogs with an infectious cough typically will have episodes of coughing, sometimes ending with a gag at the end that produces some clear/foamy saliva. The biggest difference between this and a true esophageal foreign body is that the coughing is intermittent and they're usually still eating and drinking just fine. They're not truly vomiting but rather coughing up saliva. Sometimes a little honey can help soothe a cough until you can get him seen by the vet.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)