Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My dog is 4 yrs, wt 18 pounds, just ate one Ricola cherry

Customer Question

my dog is 4 yrs, wt 18 pounds, just ate one Ricola cherry honey herb throat drops, active ingredient is menthol 2 mg. Is there any concerns or do I need to take him in for exam? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I have good news for you! It is true that menthol is toxic to dogs but in very high doses, the menthol here is in mg's and the toxic dose is in grams, an order of magnitude higher than milligrams. At most there might be some intestinal irritation resulting in diarrhea but other than that Gilbert should be just fine. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did then please leave a rating.

Dr. Dan