Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog appears to have fleas (we found two so far. We've

Customer Question

My dog appears to have fleas (we found two so far. We've had her since the 1/1). She was treated with Advantage Multi at the shelter on 12/12 before we adopted her. We don't want an infestation in our house so we scheduled an exterminator to do a flea treatment. We also purchased Capstar. She has her third booster scheduled next Tuesday and they said they would give us Nexgard then. Is it okay to give her the Capstar on Saturday, the day we have the treatment and daily until she gets on the Nexgard? Or is that a bad combination?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I completely agree with you that it's best to address this issue before it gets out of hand since a flea infestation can be quite a nuisance and a difficult one to eradicate once large numbers are in your home.

You proposed plan is fine: Give oral Capstar every day (even starting today if you wanted although waiting until Saturday is fine, too) until she's scheduled to receive the Nexgard. I wouldn't give it Tuesday morning in other words.

Both of these products are safe to give even for patients treated with Advantage Multi although the latter shouldn't still be effective after one month which will be tomorrow.

Both Capstar and Nexgard are quick kill products and should do a good job of killing any flea which feeds on her within 30 minutes.

I hope this helps. Deb