Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a pure breed doberman that I adopted from a shelter

Customer Question

I have a pure breed doberman that I adopted from a shelter my daughter works at. Oscar, is a loving active fairly healthy dog but he is having problems with his hips. Getting up after laying down, jumping up on the bed, otherwise he runs as if he has decided he is on patrol. I want to get him the best food possible and currently have him on blue life protection. I would like to ask if there is a better food recc for him? We think his age is about 8.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. As far as diets that are clinically proven to improve mobility in dogs, Hill's J/D is usually on top of the list. It is a prescription diet, though, so it is usually more expensive, but many dogs can have vast improvement and get off of or at least limit the amount of pain medication given. Royal Canin Mobility is also a very good diet for dogs with hip problems as well. As far as over the counter foods, there are none that have been studied or proven to work, but the Life Protection is as good as any in that respect. The glucosamine and chondroitin supplementation is good. I do like the Hip and Joint brand and use it on my own dog. Just make sure he is getting the recommended amount for his size. I would also highly consider a dog omega fatty acid supplement. It can help with inflammatory changes in the joint as well. These supplements can definitely help for a time, but eventually the arthritis progresses, and he may need to be on some pain medication from your vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you feel like all your questions have been answered, please rate my service. Hope this helps.