Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12 year old lab is struggling with laryngeal paralysis,

Customer Question

My 12 year old lab is struggling with laryngeal paralysis, is predisone an option and at what dose?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it is important to understand that laryngeal paralysis is a condition where a dog has progression dysfunction of the muscles/nerves that work to pull back the cartilage "curtains" (arytenoids) in front of the larynx to allow air to reach the lungs. And without these being pulled all the way out of the air's path, we see respiratory difficulty, exercise intolerance and these dogs often have a typical "roaring" type breathing noise.

With this being a nerve/muscle failure to work. steroids are of limited use. They don't tend to help the dog contract these back better but can at least reduce any cartilage inflammation that could be worsening the situation. So, it is not a cure and won't likely totally settle signs but could help her breath easier. That said, we need to be aware that steroids can cause panting as a side effect and are also immune dampening (which increases risk of lung infection if she aspirates any food/fluid into the lungs). So, they need to be used with care. In regards ***** ***** question we usually use a tapering dose of 0.2mg/kg every 12 hours for 3-4 days. Since this drug has to be weaned off, we usually then drop it to once daily dosing for 3-4 days, and then another 3-4 days on every other day dosing.

Finally, just in regards ***** ***** treatment of choice for these cases. Specifically, we find surgery to be the best option since surgeons can tie these cartilages back from the airway to open it up and help her to breathe normally.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Sounds like we need to pursue the surgical option.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I do find that it is the best option for addressing this for them.

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )