Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

The fluid from my goldens abdomen wasn't clear it had clumps

Customer Question

The fluid from my goldens abdomen wasn't clear it had clumps in it my vet let me see it. His white blood cell count was elevated his protein something was low he was breathing faster due to the fluid they drained a liter won't eat drinks a lot. Having a ultrasound in 2 days sent the fluid to be tested. Still breathing like he's not the most comfortable. He gave him steroid shot then I have to start giving him pills tom. If he is resting but still taking small breaths is that ok? He also has pale gums. The vet sent him home knowing all this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup is so sick this evening. I am really worried about your dog, based on your history. Did your vet give you any idea why the fluid was in his abdomen in the first place? Infection? Cancer? Leaking intestines? Heart failure? Breathing quickly and shallowly is a sign of discomfort in dogs and is not normal.

I also don't like that he has to wait two days for an ultrasound either. I would think that we would want answers as soon as possible.

Do you have a veterinary specialty center near you or a veterinary school? I would strongly consider taking your dog to see them either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

What other questions do you have? How else can I help?

Dr. Amanda

How is your pup this evening? Were you able to determine the cause of the fluid in the abdomen? Were you able to consider a specialist for her care? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A