Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a 10-11 year old Golden who is usually very active.

Customer Question

I have a 10-11 year old Golden who is usually very active. The last couple of days all she does is sleep. She has no energy and wont even get up when I come home. Her gums are a little lighter than usual and she went to get a drink of water and just laid by her water bowl and hasn't moved in almost 24 hrs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is sick this evening. Based on your history, there are several different things that could be causing her weakness:

1) a mass in her spleen or liver that is bleeding

2) cancer somewhere else in her body such as lymphoma

3) low red blood cells from internal bleeding or the immune system attacking the red blood cells

4) other metabolic problems such as diabetes or kidney failure

I would strongly recommend taking her to your regular vet first thing in the morning. They will likely recommend blood work and x-rays of the abdomen and chest and this will likely give you a diagnosis. From there you can talk about treatment plans.

I'm sorry I don't have any great easy answers. What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Is she still very lethargic? What color are her gums? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to let you know, Sadie had pancreatitis. She is in the animal hospital getting fluids & antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update!

I am sorry to hear that she had pancreatitis, but am happy to hear that she is receiving treatments.

Let me know if you have any more questions for me.

Dr. Amanda