Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog has thrown twice. There was string and sticks in the

Customer Question

My dog has thrown twice. There was string and wood sticks in the throw up. She is kind of dry heaving. It's like she wants to throw up but isn't quite ready. It's not a full heave, more like a hick up but it's not a hick up. and has been doing so for about 20 min. She ravenously trying to eat anything after throwing up like snow tree branches.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Lucky is eating all sorts of garbage.

The first thing to do is remove her ability to eat or drink anything. Remove the water, keep her inside so that she cannot eat plants or snow, and remove her food. When dogs become nauseous, they will often try to calm their stomachs by over-drinking or eating grass. This will only make their nausea worse, leading to more vomiting.

Once you remove her access to all things that she can eat, her stomach should settle down within 15 to 30 minutes. Once it does, continue to let her stomach rest for about 4 hours. If there is no vomiting or dry heaving for 4 hours, you can offer very small (1/4 cup) amounts of water once every 30 minutes. In the morning, if she continues to not vomit, you can offer half of her normal breakfast.

If she continues to vomit tonight, you will need to take her to your local animal emergency room.

If she refuses to take water or food, you will need to take her to your vet in the morning.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

How is Lucky this evening? Any more vomiting? Is he eating normally again? Did you end up having to take him to your regular vet this morning? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A