DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My Shepard is vomiting clear mucus several times this

Customer Question

Customer: My Shepard is vomiting clear mucus several times this evening.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It started 3 1/2 hours ago and he wretches and gags and the amount of clear mucus has been increasing. He appears to settle for a while and then it starts up again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dog does not have a rigid stomach and hasn't eaten any food other than his usual food from the vet. He is 2yrs old and otherwise healthy.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. In your description you said your dog is a shepherd.... If this means a German shepherd or German shepherd cross, then I am very concerned that your dog may be showing signs of bloat or gastric dilation and volvulus. This condition is common in young active deep chested dog breeds like shepherds, Great Danes, dobermans, Labradors, etc. this is a very serious and potentially fatal condition. I would highly recommend that you get your dog to a vet immediately for an exam to determine if this is the cause for his retching and vomiting of mucus/saliva. There is nothing you can do at home to help. Other possible causes include ingestion of a foreign body or pancreatitis. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The vomit has turned fo***** *****.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 11 months ago.

Yes that still fits with bloat or GDV. It's really just the dog vomiting up foamy saliva that they are producing but can swallow down to their stomach because the stomach is bloated or twisted and so the saliva can not enter it. This is seriousl. You need to go to an emergency vet right now.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMelJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We had him checked out by the vet on Emerg duty, there was no bloat. He gave us something to settle his stomach, and he has been fine since then.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 10 months ago.

I am so glad to hear that things turned out ok. Over the Internet it's hard to tell what's going on obviously. We have to base our recommendation on any possible scenario that could fit the clinical signs that you describe. It obviously would be a must worse scenario to tell you Things will be ok and then have your dog get seriously ill. Please remember to rate my response if you found our chat helpful. Take care.