Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My son's dog has a reacurring ear problem (smell, itching)

Customer Question

Customer: My son's dog has a reacurring ear problem (smell, itching) and I have some leftover drops from an infection actually three types,can we use them on the dog?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It occurs in the same ear and the local vet wants to shorten his ear and install some plastic to hold it open. I'm not happy about that, so I have some extra ear meds , cortisporin, and Ofloxacin to try if safe for a wonderful dog
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: If it's a yes or no answer I will pay it
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Typically if a patient has an ear infection, and the client has some medications at home, I usually tell them to go ahead and try them first, along with daily ear cleaning. If not working, though, they need to get back in for an evaluation. Generally, it is safe to do that. The only concern is if the dog has a ruptured ear drum. Some medications can be toxic to the middle or inner ear if the ear drum is compromised. The only way to know that is to have your vet look into the ear. Most of the time it doesn't tend to be a problem, but there are rare cases that it can be. With an ear infection that is red, itching and swollen; you might as well not treat them without steroids to remove the inflammation and swelling. You may just be spinning your wheels. So, if the ears have any of those signs, I would just get him in to be seen. I would talk to the vet more about controlling the underlying cause of the ear infections, which is usually an allergy. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you feel like all your questions have been answered, please rate my service. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John