Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We suspect our dog has lymphoma. She has been on prednisone

Customer Question

We suspect our dog has lymphoma. She has been on prednisone for 4 weeks. a week ago she developed conjunctivitis and it is progressively getting worse- not responding to the treatments. Otherwise she seems symptom free. Is there anything else we can do for her eyes?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Is there any way to take a photo of her eyes? Is she having discharge from them? Rubbing or blinking excessively?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is minor discharge, but they are VERY swollen and she seems unable to see well. I can try for a picture
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

If you can take a photo, that may help. You can attach it using the "add files" link next to your send button. Is the discharge yellow or green or clear? What part of the eye or lid exactly looks swollen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got a good picture, it's swollen around the entire eye. Like the whites of her eyes are swollen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know this is something that can go with lymphoma. Just wondering if there is any way to clear this up since she seems to have no othe symptoms right now. We do not want her to suffer
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Oh my! That looks quite unpleasant for her! This isn't just a simple case of conjunctivitis, she has what is called chemosis, which is a swelling of all the conjunctival tissue.

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Has she had any bloodwork done recently? Sometimes this can be the result of low protein levels in the blood (which may happen in end stages of cancer).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she had bloodwork in early december and did have low protein levels
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Ok. So this could be related to that, or could be a manifestation of her lymphoma. I know you said she is on prednisone orally, but topical steroids may be of benefit as well, and topical antibiotics may help if she has developed a secondary infection. The issue is if the underlying cause is something we aren't going to be able to fix, we may not be able to get rid of the chemosis, or we may improve it temporarily only to have it return...

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

I think it would be worth a try with topical steroids and antibiotics just in case if she is doing well at home right now otherwise. What do you have to lose by trying, you know?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
right. she was on neopolybac for a few days and it did not get better, only worse.would there be something better?
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Poor thing! Do you know if the neopolybac had hydrocortisone (HC) in it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Ok. There are other topical antibiotics available for the eye, but I don't know if that is really the issue here. Honestly, I think given the severity of her eyes, it is out of my realm of expertise, and I don't know how much more info I can provide for you. I am going to open your question back up in case there is someone out there with more ophtho experience than myself!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, thank you for your help. I realize that there may be no options but I just wanted to check!