Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our westie started having seizures about three months ago.

Customer Question

our westie started having seizures about three months ago. She has now had 5 of them the last one being a few minutes ago. She was sitting under a tv tray in the living room and my foot nudged her and this seemed to scare her. She ran full blast out to the backyard and that's when the seizure began. It lasts about 4 minutes. That seems to be the patter, like something startling her and then the seizure. My brother had westies and the oldest one was put on an anti seizure med and my brother felt it was his westies downfall and that she was never the same once on those drugs. Do not want to give her a drug.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Minnie has been having seizures. While anti-seizure medication is generally the mainstay of treatment, I do have a few additional suggestions for you which may help to reduce the incidence or frequency of them. If there's a range listed, then I'd start at the lower end since she's such a small dog.

1. Magnesium oxide (not citrate or chloride) at a dose of 200mg/day. Some forms may cause diarrhea; just reduce the dose should this happen.

2. Taurine at a dose of 500mg- 1gm per day
3. Melatonin at a dose of 1-5 mg at night. Just be sure to read the labels and avoid those which might have xylitol in them (since xylitol can be quite toxic to dogs even in small amounts.
4. Vitamin B6. Purchase B -50 multiple B- vitamins and give 1/2/ day
5. Medium chain triglycerides (unprocessed coconut oil) 1 tsp/day but it should be the unprocessed type
6. Vitamin E 200 IU/day

7. Omega 3 fatty acids. Welactin is a good veterinary brand which is a liquid that can be drizzled on the food once a day.

8. SAMe (S-adenosyl-methioine)

9. Vet Select Nuroplex (Seizure) Formula which I'll include although I'm not certain if it really helps. Homeopathy is safe but may not control the seizures.

I hope this helps to provide alternative options for you to consider although I don't want to sound as if the above will be effective in preventing seizure episodes for all patients. But at least they're options to anti-epileptic medication. Deb