Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog been sick days didn't eat days started to eat on 3 day

Customer Question

dog been sick for 4 days didn't eat for 2 days started to eat on 3 day and 4 day back to not eating. vomates lots of fluid eats grass drinks lots of water. on 3rd day he was feeling almost normal and wanted to for a walk we walked about a mile came home and he ate a little hamburger no dog food. 4th day back to not eating and vomitating
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jenny. The problem you're facing is that her symptoms - while important - aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Disorders of the gastrointestinal tract itself as well as disorders outside her GI tract which affect the GI tract need to be considered and there are too many differential diagnoses of both to list in this venue. You would find it difficult to manage such a patient at home because a vomiting patient can't retain anything you give orally. Of particular importance is that Jenney is 10 years old. Our geriatric patients don't have the reserve that a much younger dog has and will become dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced after 4 days of inappetence and loss of fluid through her vomitus.

Jenny needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. I understand that you didn't come here to be told this but I don't see a reasonable alternative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jenney. How is everything going?