Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 4 year old Lhasa Apso has had .Bladder Surgery. Calcium

Customer Question

My 4 year old Lhasa Apso has had .Bladder Surgery. Calcium Osolaite was the stone formation cans she take Potassium Citrate to help keep them dissolved?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Tashi's problem. Potassium Citrate is one way we try to prevent oxalate stones from reforming. Diet changes is another way. Is Tashi already on a special diet for bladder stones? I am going to attach an article for you here with information on this type of stone: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=662

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Do you know your dog's weight?

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello? Are you still looking for info for your dog?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tashi is on Royal Canine dry dog food she hates it so I am not happy. That is all she is allowed. I am giving her Potasium Phosphate she is not really wild about that either. Don't really know what to do now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying to give her chicken & beef which she likes. She also loved Veggies but has allergies to corn, carrots, white potatoes tomatoes & duck
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

If you have a regular vet (or whoever did her surgery) there is a website that provides free recipes for homemade food for your dog for various conditions. I would recommend looking into this if you are interested in a homemade diet. You do need your vet to approve your recipe though. The website is: https://secure.balanceit.com/

I would look into that website. Also, if she doesn't' like the royal canin diet, the other major companies (purina, hills, iams) make similar diets (I would have to look at the bags to see if they had corn- not sure).