Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 month old boxer who recently started throwing up

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old boxer who recently started throwing up after eating and then drinking a ton of water. He doesn't seem to be throwing up much food but it's more of a clear liquid. In any other ways he doesn't seem sick, he is still playing with the other dogs and his bones. He also has solid poop. Is this something to be concerned about?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Here for the answers to your questions.It's started happening off and on for a few weeks now and it could have been around the time I switched the flavor of his food. I've always used Natures Pet Cusinie in Lamb and recently tried it in chicken.His gums looks a pale shade of pink and seem to feel pretty moist and when I push on his belly it doesn't seem to bother him.I live in a condo so where I have crate trained him. We go on several walks a day but he is never outside unattended so I am not sure if he would have got in to anything. I have had the Christmas tree up (until to day, a little behind) but other than that nothing else stands out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Do you think they are paler pink then usual for him?

Any disturbances with him and the tree?

Did you slowly wean him to the new diet or make a quick switch?

Is he only vomiting after meals or after the large water intake too?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His gums don't look different than what I've noticed before and he would try to eat the needles from the tree right after I got it but so much recently.With the food I did a quick switch. And he is only vomiting after drinking large amounts of water.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now my concern for Barley is that he has a low grade nausea here. Often when they are nauseous, they will overdrink to cause themselves to vomit. Now this could have been triggered by the quick diet change, if he did eat quite a few pine needles to cause stomach inflammation, or could be related to something else. Other causes that could present this way include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis (something boxers are prone to when on food that is too rich for them), parasites/protozoa infections, and general dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, as his signs are so mild, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has absorbed, it'd be worth restarting the old diet (just in case he is sensitive to the new flavour) or offering a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Still with how low grade his signs are, we can try the above supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 241-48 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can just make sure Barley hasn't anything in his stomach that shouldn't be there, that he doesn't have a low grade pancreatitis, or any lurking infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )