Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog has a cough, what can I give her, not coughing all time,

Customer Question

Dog has a cough, what can I give her, not coughing all time, but dry cough
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we need to tread with care if she has a cough. This is because if it has been long lasting it could be a sign of an underlying throat issue (ie collapsing trachea, tracheitis, etc), lung issue (ie bronchitis, pneumonia, lung worm, asthma, etc) or even related to the heart. Of course and most commonly for sudden onset short term coughs, we can see these triggered by viral (ie Parainfluenza) or bacterial (ie Bordetella) upper airway infections

Still, if it is intermittent and she hasn't had it for long, you can try to soothe the cough for her. If it is just irritation, then it will likely settle with just supportive care. In regards ***** ***** you can safely give, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Overall, we need to be careful with your lass. You can try the above to soothe her throat but if she doesnt' settle or we see progression of her signs, then we'd want a check with her vet to pinpoint which issue is afoot here and ensure we are treating that for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )