Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My 14 yr old lab/newfie rescue was diagnosed with cancer 2

Customer Question

My 14 yr old lab/newfie rescue was diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago when vet small needled a lump on his snout and saw odd cells. Since then he has shown no symptoms except for vomiting. It is usually very mucusey, although this can vary with just brown semi digested food. Once he did a bile vomit last week. Now the mucus looked a bit yellow this time. He'll go a few days without throwing up, but best we can get is 2 or so days. My question is what is causing this stomach connection.....his face lump, which was golf ball sized, seems to have gone down or spreadout. We know he is experiencing stomach issues with stomach growling noises. Is the cancer there,too? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this.
Leslie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB:) It would be impossible to say if his gastrointestinal issues were related to the mass in his muzzle. Do you remember what type of cell was described to you? Is he currently on any medications? Has any blood work been done recently?

Intermittent vomiting every 2-3 day is pretty non-specific symptom but it is a significant frequency. At this point, it would be advised for him to have a thorough medical work up including complete blood count, blood chemistry, urinalysis, fecal testing and chest/abdominal radiographs. Blood work would tell you a great deal as vomiting can be caused by endocrine disorders such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, hypo/hyperadrenocortism as well as kidney or liver disease especially in older dogs. Radiographs/x-rays of the chest and abdomen could rule out heart disease, esophageal disease (such as megaesophagus) or a mass in chest or abdomen.

I do think that the pattern of vomiting does warrant you to make an appointment with your veterinarian who can examine him and determine what direction to head in first.. I hope this is response if helpful for you:)

Hello again! I hope I helped with my answer to your question your dog's vomiting and muzzle mass? Any other questions or clarification I can provide? If you have other questions, feel free to ask.. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to rate our conversation so I may be paid for my professional time? Thanks so much..

Just checking to see if you have additional questions? If not, please rate our conversation when you have a free moment..