Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Westie possibly swallowed a 15 mg xarelto I dropped on

Customer Question

My Westie possibly swallowed a 15 mg xarelto I dropped on floor and cannot find
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago do you think this happened?

How much does she weigh?

Has she been in the room where you dropped this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and since this is a time sensitive situation, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

As I am sure you are aware, this is a medication that helps thin the blood and prevent blood clots. It is used rarely in dogs, so safety data is limited. Still, based on its function, we have to be aware that it can affect the clotting of animals that ingest it when they are not supposed to.

Therefore, the first step here is to limit her access to where the tablet was lost and have a good thorough search +/- vacuum the area to find it.

Otherwise, if you are highly suspicious she did eat this, we can block absorption at this point. To start, we can induce vomiting. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively (ideal if you are just not sure), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Joy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ariel. How is everything going?
nekovet