Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We just rescued a 3 yr old female boxer yesterday. We

Customer Question

Hi we just rescued a 3 yr old female boxer yesterday. We introduced her to the home. We have a 15 yr old sick cat. They sniffed each other and went along there way. Than as the cat crossed the dogs path he longed for the cats back. He got his jaws around the cats back but I was able to pull the dog off, saying No forcefully. Every time the cat moves the dog growls. They are separated for now. Is this play or hunting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is aggression. It sounds like you are going to need to do some training with the dog to get her to where she is no longer trying to kill or hunt the cat. It's not a quick fix, so I would keep them separated until you get the help you need.

To get this resolved, you'll need to work with a veterinary behaviorist or a good dog trainer. You can find a behaviorist on this site:

http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/

As for trainers, I would talk with some of the vets in the area. Ask them who they recommend. If one name comes up a handful of times, then they are probably good and worth looking into. There are more bad trainers than good ones out there. The key is finding one that is reputable in the area and has good results.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought so. It very much felt like it. I am a mental health therapist and my gut reaction was this was a hunting behavior. Thank you for the confirmation.

Yeah, you're right. Be careful until you get some help for her.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do thank you.

You're welcome.