Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 14 months old and he's been having diarrhea last

Customer Question

My dog is 14 months old and he's been having diarrhea for the last couple of weeks n ow . We did switch his food over 6 months ago to the canned merrick and the refrigerated meat logs. His appetite is good, and he doesn't act sick , but I was worried about the diahrea . I'd this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

When was he last wormed? What did you use?

Has he had any testing or treatment for this thus far?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now based on Louie's signs and the time frame they have been an issue, we do have a few concerns. Even quick diet changes wouldn't cause diarrhea that lasts for weeks. Instead, we'd be more concerned about a general dietary sensitivity to what he is now on or a non-related issue with a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretion.

With all this in mind, there are some steps we can take to try to narrow down causes and get him settled. To start, you can consider a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice or pasta with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. And of course, if he were to relapse on the normal diet, then a food sensitivity would be a consideration and a different diet may need to be used.

As well, if he hasn't been wormed in the past month, then it is worth doing so now. Worms often cause loose stool in young dogs and that would be a concern here. Now if you are worming at this stage, I would suggest using Panacur. It tends to be OTC at most vets, pet stores, or online (we just need to know his weight to get the right dose) and is useful because it tackles worms but some of our protozoa as well.

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this diarrhea we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start Louie on the above supportive care to slow this diarrhea. Though if it persists with the above, then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, and test a stool sample. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics +/- further anti-protozoal treatments to settle this before he becomes dehydrated or stunted from this long term nutrition/fluid loss.

All the best,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )